Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thing 7 Wiki Wiki

Wiki ( Quick) first developed in 1995. Where have I been all this time. I still remember when you would go to stores and, receive a written paper bill, when we had grade books, when I typed my masters thesis ten different times. The future is flying at me as I progress in this course. Just learned to turn the computer on, and now I am in the process of discovering the many different ways of using the Wiki. So much so fast; I am some what overwhelmed, but extremely excited at the same time.
In Early Schools: This site lacked a lot, especially for the first grade level.The main page had no color and just started without much introduction. The only reasonI continued on was it brought back memories from the past. I have been involved in schools for the past 56 years as either a student or a teacher. Many things have changed in that time and it was interesting to reflect on some of the comments. I thought it could have used a better introduction, more color, and maybe a few snap shots of times passed.
In Code Blue : This site was very interesting once you got into it. They told me in my education classes that you needed to pull the trigger, cause something that would catch the interest of the student. This site needed something like that. If you were specifically looking for something like this it was good. Really good information that was well organized.
Timeline of Presidents; This was a site that lacked a lot. I can't see this as interesting for second grade students. There was no pop no life. I guess it covered the subject s information, but againI really enjoyed the sites that had more color and action. If some form of animation were added, it would have made it better. Maybe some music of the times.
How am I going to us this tool. I plan to retire at the end of this year, so for me to use it will have to come fast. I know that it will one day be the norm. Just think, with my work schedule the way it is it, would have almost impossible for me to take the class I am taking now.The way things are going there will be no school buildings,no need for school busses. All students will plug into their educational portal with the master instructor for all their educational needs. Good, haven,t quite decided yet, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Well I learned something!! I had no idea wikis had been around since 1995. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't become aware of wikis and how much promise they offered to education until 2007!! I knew about Wikipedia, but next to nothing about how we could be using wikis for professional and teaching purposes.

    ReplyDelete